[Linux-cluster] GFS performance.

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Apr 20 19:22:44 UTC 2009

Ryan Golhar wrote:
> This brings up an interesting question for me....We can 6 machines that
> host a bunch of virtual machines.  I'd like to put the virtual machines
> on a shared SAN disk.  If one of the physical machines goes down,
> another one will take over and host a virtual machine.
>
> Does it make sense to use GFS to manage the SAN then?  IF the 4x
> slowdown is there, then this may not be the way to go.

I would expect the performance on few large files (VM disk images) to
suffer much, much less than this. You have quite a few chices for this
sort of thing (GFS/GFS2, OCFS/OCFS2, VMFS), but generally, performance
between them is pretty similar. And on VMs you'll be so virtual I/O
bound that the speed of the underlying storage won't make any difference
anyway.

Gordan