[Linux-cluster] Hardware options

Lon Hohberger lhh at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 18:26:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-04-30 at 18:22 +0100, Virginian wrote:

> My question is, does anybody have a low cost hardware specification
> that they are running xen and RHCS on with shared storage that won't
> cost the earth and won't hit me in the wallet when it comes to paying
> the electricity bill?

If you're not trying to migrate VMs between physical machines and are
primarily concerned with tinkering with other parts of the cluster, you
can use a notebook or desktop w/ VT support, Fedora 10, and KVM.  From
there, you can install RHEL5 or the operating system of your choice in
to the VMs and cluster the VMs.

It doesn't protect you against hardware failures at all, but it's a good
low-cost development platform.

Obviously, you can't put a VM in a VM, so you can't tinker with VM live
migration or anything like that.

-- Lon