[Linux-cluster] NFS client failover

Mike Cardwell linux-cluster at lists.grepular.com
Wed Aug 26 08:55:24 UTC 2009

On 25/08/2009 20:40, Mike Cardwell wrote:

> I figured that failover would happen more smoothly if the client was
> aware of and in control of what was going on. If the IP suddenly moves
> to another NFS server I don't know how the NFS client will cope with that.

Well, it seems to cope quite well. The nfs mount "hangs" for a few
seconds whilst the IP moves from one server to another (unavoidable
obviously), but it then picks up from where it was. I suspect there will
be file corruption issues with files that are partially written when the
failover happens, but I guess that can't be avoided without a client
side solution.

--
Mike Cardwell - IT Consultant and LAMP developer
Cardwell IT Ltd. (UK Reg'd Company #06920226) http://cardwellit.com/