[Linux-cluster] actions to be taken when changing fence devices ip address

Gianluca Cecchi gianluca.cecchi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 14:51:06 UTC 2009

Hello,
I'm using RHEL 5.4 based cluster.
I'm using fence_ilo fence device and I'm going to change ip address
for the iLO of one node of the cluster.

Is this action supposed to be made near-online, in the sense that I
have not to shutdown all the cluster nodes?
Idea would be:
1) services remains on node where iLO ip doesn't change
2) shutdown and change iLO ip of the other node (actually it is a
server swap maintaining its disks)
3) on first node change cluster.conf and issue of
    ccs_tool update /etc/cluster/cluster.conf
    cman_tool version -r <new_version_number>
4) power on of second node

will action 4) give an automatic join with new config of node 2 to the
cluster? Or do I have to make anything with fenced to reload its
config?

My question arises from past experience with need of changing qdisk
parameters in cluster.conf: this requires a qdiskd restart, with steps
in 3) not being sufficient...
Do I have to restart fenced? In this case does this produce any
problem/relocation?

Thanks in advance,
Gianluca