[Linux-cluster] Configuration Between Real Servers and GFS Cluster

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Mon Dec 28 10:39:15 UTC 2009

Diamond Li wrote:
> thanks for your reply. I am trying to understand what you mean. for
> instance, I have 6 clients and 3 GFS servers, they are divided into 3
> different groups
>     client1            GFS server1
>     client2
>
>     client3            GFS server2
>     client4
>
>     client 5           GFS server3
>     client6
>
> So my question is how to balance the workload between these 3 GFS
> servers since they are hosting identical data?

By the diagram above, you're already load balancing it. Have clients 1,2
mount off server1's floating IP, clients 3,4 off server2, clients 5,6
off server3. If one of the servers fails it's IP fails over to one of
the surviving servers, and you'll get 4 clients on one server and 2 on
the other.

Note, however, that if different clients are accessing files in the same
directories, you'll get lock contention and locks will end up bouncing
between the servers, which will seriously hurt performance.

Gordan