[Linux-cluster] Sun StorageTek 2530 Array SAS and Redhat Cluster Suite

Curtis Collicutt curtis at athabascau.ca
Mon Jan 12 00:03:20 UTC 2009

I'm thinking of purchasing the 2530 to enable shared storage for a small cluster of Redhat Xen hosts.

But, on this little blurb page from Redhat:

http://www.redhat.com/cluster_suite/hardware/

it says: "Cluster Manager systems can be configured using iSCSI, Fibre Channel, or Multi-Initiator (MI) SAS hardware. In general, MI SAS will be appropriate for smaller configurations with 2-4 servers, while iSCSI and Fibre Channel are better suited to larger configurations."

Initially the cluster would be 3 servers but I could see us adding more later, but I doubt more than 6 servers total on this entry level SAN from SUN.

I'm wondering why MI SAS should only be used with 2-4 cluster nodes?

Perhaps I should go with the fibre channel model of this array? But it would cost more. The SAS version seems just right to me, except for this blurb.

Thanks,
Curtis.

__
---