[Linux-cluster] ipmi activates session, but no talk.

Jonathan Buzzard j.buzzard at dundee.ac.uk
Thu Jul 2 10:15:36 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-02 at 11:56 +0200, Emmanuel Thomé wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to set up ipmi (1.5) management using the bmc on ibm
> eserver326 machines. Yes, these machines are old.

they are cheap and nasty rebadged MSI boxes.

> So far, I've been able to access the bmc with ipmitool, and configure it
> as correctly as I could for remote access.
>
> When trying to access it from afar, I successfully activate a session,
> but further requests are unanswered.
>
> Some dumps of ipmitool commands are included below.

Well that's your problem, it don't work with ipmitools :-(

> If anybody has an idea of what's going on, that would be greatly
> appreciated.

I suggest switching to freeipmi which does work.

> I might also try to flash the bmc firmware, as it seems that ibm released
> a newer firmware for these servers. But I'm already a bit puzzled by
> the situation so far.

I would if I where you. I would also do the BIOS, BMC and hard disk
firmware at a minimum if I where you. The diagnostics are option.

Note that you cannot configure bonding on eth0 and use the IPMI
interface.

Even when you get it working it is not reliable. I have seen boxes hang
and refuse to respond to IPMI commands to reboot.

I have also never been able to get the serial over LAN bit working
either.

They are just cheap and nasty.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                      Tel: +441382-386998
Storage Administrator, College of Life Sciences