[Linux-cluster] CLVMD without GFS

Rafael Micó Miranda rmicmirregs at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 14:56:25 UTC 2009

Hi Brem,

El mar, 21-07-2009 a las 16:40 +0200, brem belguebli escribió:
> Hi,
>
> That's what I 'm trying to do.
>
> If you mean lvm.sh, well, I've been playing with it, but it does some
> "sanity" checks that are wierd
>      1. It expects HA LVM to be setup (why such check if we want to
>         use CLVM).
>      2. it exits if it finds a CLVM VG  (kind of funny !)
>      3. it exits if the lvm.conf is newer than /boot/*.img (about this
>         one, we tend to prevent the cluster from automatically
>         starting ...)
> I was looking to find some doc on how to write my own resources, ie
> CLVM resource that checks if the vg is clustered, if so by which node
> is it exclusively held, and if the node is down to activate
> exclusively the VG.
>
> If you have some good links to provide me, that'll be great.
>
> Thanks
>

> 2009/7/21, Christine Caulfield <ccaulfie at redhat.com>:
>         On 07/21/2009 01:11 PM, brem belguebli wrote:
>                 Hi,
>                 When creating the VG by default clustered, you
>                 implicitely assume that
>                 it will be used with a clustered FS on top of it (gfs,
>                 ocfs, etc...)
>                 that will handle the active/active mode.
>                 As I do not intend to use GFS in this particular case,
>                 but ext3 and raw
>                 devices, I need to make sure the vg is exclusively
>                 activated on one
>                 node, preventing the other nodes to access it unless
>                 it is the failover
>                 procedure (node holding the VG crashed) and then re
>                 activate it
>                 exclusively on the failover node.
>                 Thanks
>

>         In that case you probably ought to be using rgmanager to do
>         the failover for you. It has a script for doing exactly
>         this :-)
>
>         Chrissie
>

>         --

Please, check this link:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/cluster-devel/2009-June/msg00020.html

I found exactly the same problem as you, and i developed the
"lvm-cluster.sh" script to solve the needs I had. You can find the
script on the last message of the thread.

I submitted it to make it part of the main project, but i have no news
about that yet.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Rafael