[Linux-cluster] using lacie ethernet disk raid as shared storage

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu Jun 25 10:12:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:06:22 +0200, ESGLinux <esggrupos at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a customer with has a Lacie Ethernet Disk RAID and wants to use it
> as a shared storage to use in a HA cluster.
>
> Which can be the best approach to use this kind of storage? (iscsi, gnbd,

I don't imagine for a moment that any of those would be supported,
considering the target audience is unlikely to ever have heard of those
protocols. It's likely to give you SMB/CIFS and nothing else. There's no
reason why you couldn't use it for shared storage, but that is in no way
related to RHCS.

Also remember that a single SAN/NAS of whatever description is still a
single point of failure, which makes a mockery of the concept of HA. This
is also (shockingly) a point (willfully) overlooked by most administrators
and architects.