[Linux-cluster] Problems with cluster (fencing?)

Mikko Partio mpartio at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 07:42:41 UTC 2009

Hello all

I have a two-node cluster with a quorum disk.

When I pull off the power cord from one node, the other node freezes the
shared gfs-volumes and all activity stops, even though the cluster maintains
quorum. When the other node boots up, I can see that "starting fencing"
takes many minutes and afterwards starting clvmd fails. That node therefore
cannot mount gfs disks since the underlying lvm volumes are missing.

Also, if I shut down both nodes and start just one of them, the starting
node still waits in the "starting fencing" part many minutes even though the
cluster should be quorate (there's a quorum disk)!

Fencing method used is HP iLO 2. I don't remember seeing this in CentOS 5.1
(now running 5.2). Any clue what might cause this?

Regards

Mikko