[Linux-cluster] Home-brew SAN/iSCSI

Corey Kovacs corey.kovacs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 20:05:32 UTC 2009

One thing to keep in mind is the fact that iscsi is a tcp based protocol. So
even though your machine might be doing nothing but acting as an iscsi
target, it's going to take the brunt of the load in handling the tcp stack.
If you can get a network card that handles iscsi on the card itself, that
will help loads. Otherwise your cpu might dig a hole for itself to crawl
into.

Of course if your just messing about, or only using the iscsi targets
locally, then your probably ok.

Benefits of a dedicated device are management capabilities, throughput,
flexible location, etc. Fibre channel is 8Gb standard now and SAN's are
starting to use it instead of 4Gb, but the entry point in terms of cost is
high. A fully loaded EVA8100 can cost 250k, the FC infrastructure can go to
60-80k easily. iscsi really needs to have a seperate back end storage
network to be useful and it should be 10Gb. I hear people say it's useful on
slower hardware but everyone has an opinion. I guess if your just using it
for system volumes and low IO then 1G might be fine.

Anyway hope this help and if it doesnt' at least it might give you more to
think about.

Best of luck

Corey