[Linux-cluster] Quorum disk over RAID software device

Thomas Meller thomas.meller at gmx.net
Sat Feb 6 00:29:58 UTC 2010

You're right, I am unclear.

Some years ago, we tried two versions: storage-based mirroring and host-based mirroring. As the processes were too complicated in our company we decided to mirror the disks host-based. So currently there is a /dev/md0 (simplified) consisting of sda (in Bern) and sdb (in Zurich), and each node has it's own root-fs exclusively.

This cannot work with a shared GFS, as there are several machines doing updates on the FS and no central instance does always know the current state of the device's contents, thus no host-mirroring possible.

You are talking of storage-based mirrors. In case of a failure, we would have to direct the storage system to use the second mirror as primary and direct our nodes to write on sdb instead of sda.
That will involve controlling the storage from our machines (our storage people will love the idea) and installing the storage-specific software on them.
If the Hardware in use changes, we need to re-engineer this solution and adapt to the new storage manufacturer's philosophy, if at all possible.

I still have a third opportunity. I can use Qlocig's driver-based multipathing and keep using host-based mirroring instead of using dm-multipath, which currently prevents me from setting up raid-devices as root-fs.
Well, that will work, but is somewhat ugly.

So far, I had only a short glimpse on OSR. I think I will need to dive deeper.

-------- Original-Nachricht --------