[Linux-cluster] Quorum disk over RAID software device

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Fri Feb 5 15:18:07 UTC 2010

Thomas Meller wrote:
> Many thanks, Gordan.
>
> This could nearly be the solution.
> But as I understand, it's not possible to mirror the root-(g)fs to another
> computing center despite for relying on a new SPOF (if at all possible)
> or on hardware-dependent solutions.

Not sure I follow what you mean. If your underlying storage is
synchronously mirrored, you should have no problem with GFS root on top
of it. If things disconnect, of course, it'll split-brain, and one node
will get panicked and need rebooting.

If your mirrored SAN can't handle it gracefully, you could always use
DRBD to handle the real-time mirroring. That will even re-direct to the
remote storage node in case just the local storage fails.

Since I added the DRBD functionality to OSR, I'm pretty sure it works. ;)

> Hmm... our current setup addressed this with half the effort.

If you need more graceful recovery from network outages (especially the
cross-site interconnect), you could use something like GlusterFS + OSR.
I contributed patches for that, too, but it's a bit experimental.

> Anyway, does anyone in this forum use this technique and can send me
> the 'init'-script from the initrd?

I'm still not entirely sure what exactly you're looking for. Can you
elaborate a bit more?

Gordan