[Linux-cluster] Looking for guidance

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at activenetwerx.com
Mon Feb 22 22:45:50 UTC 2010

>Check this out...
>
>http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Configuration_Example_-_NFS_Over_GFS/index.html

Great article, pretty much what I want to do with only two nodes though.

>It provides nfs of the file system as a service to nodes outside the cluster. NFS from one node to the other is a real hack, you have nothing if the NFS server dies

You got me here: So after reading Chp 9 I see my concerns are common. As this cluster
has clients connect to only one ip that it moves around (Chp 1), not considering the
situation where we move away and back, how does a client pick up where it left when the
service is migrated from one cluster node to another? What modifications, if any, does
the cluster suite do to nfs to mitigate this? All the nfs ha docs I see make changes to
/var/lib/nfs which none of the RHEL docs corroborate.

Is the re-exportation of the filesystem via nfs on a new node a potential data loss
situation for the client such that any handles would no longer be valid, so a write in
progress is certainly incomplete? I guess that's left to the client to mitigate, all we
do is provide uptime at the cost of the momentary interruption?

Thanks for all the patience and guidance while I wrap my head around this guys!
jlc