[Linux-cluster] Looking for guidance

Kaloyan Kovachev kkovachev at varna.net
Tue Feb 23 07:37:14 UTC 2010

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 15:42:08 -0500 (EST), Leo Pleiman wrote

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Configuration_Example_-_NFS_Over_GFS/index.html

> It provides nfs of the file system as a service to nodes outside the
cluster. NFS from one node to the other is a real hack, you have nothing if
the NFS server dies. The GFS(2) file system will need to be visible to both
nodes (SAN, NAS, iSCSI). If you decide to use iSCSI, for the same reason as
NFS, neither node should be the provider of the iSCSI target.

neither or both with multipath :) and it actually works quite well. If the two
iSCSI targets are cluster members it is OK to even use them as Active/Active
and in both failover or multibus mode with GFS (not sure/tested about ext3)

> You could further simplify by eliminating the GFS file system, use an ext3
(lvm) file system on a disk visible to both systems (SAN, NAS, or iSCSI) and
managed by the cluster resource. You'll have to edit the lvm.conf to prevent
clvd from starting the volume, allowing the cluster resource to manage it on
only the active node.

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Logical_Volume_Manager_Administration/index.html

http://www.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5.4/html/Cluster_Administration/index.html