[Linux-cluster] clusvcadm -M for VM inside service container

Dirk H. Schulz dirk.schulz at kinzesberg.de
Tue Jan 12 12:08:35 UTC 2010

Hi folks,

I am new to this list and hope this has not been asked too often, but I
did not find many posts on this problem on the web, and none with a
solution.

I am running a cluster on CentOS 5.4 with VMs as services, defined like
this:
<service autostart="1" exclusive="0" domain="VirtMach02"
name="S-MasseCent5-20" recovery="relocate" hardrecovery="0"
max_restarts="5">
            <vm name="MasseCent5-20" path="/etc/xen/config-san"
migrate="live" use_virsh="0" hypervisor="xen" migration_mapping="...,..."/>
</service>

When I do a live migration using xm it works like a charm.
When I do a live migration using "clusvcadm -M S-MasseCent5-20 -m
/targnode/" I get the following error:
> Trying to migrate service:S-MasseCent5-20 to targnode...Invalid
> operation for resource
Since clusvcadm -M is restricted to be used with VMs only, I suspect
that it does not work for VMs defined inside <service> containers, just
for "naked" <vm> definitions.
Is that correct? Or is there some other reason?

Any hint or help is appreciated.

Dirk