[Linux-cluster] Recommendation of SAN devices

Jeff Sturm jeff.sturm at eprize.com
Wed Jul 28 13:43:47 UTC 2010

[mailto:linux-cluster-bounces at redhat.com]
> On Behalf Of Peng Yu
> Sent: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 9:13 AM
> To: linux clustering
> Subject: Re: [Linux-cluster] Recommendation of SAN devices
>
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody have any experience with any vendors of storage devices
> (for performance) for cluster file system? Or could you please
> recommend where I should look for relevant information? I googled, but
> there are just so much information that I don't know where to start
> with.

Be prepared to do a lot of testing.  The Coraid SRX may be a good choice
(we have a few of those) but there are many to choose from.  Dell
EqualLogic iSCSI enclosures also work well.

Your results may depend as much or more on what drives you choose than
the enclosure.  10K SATA disks might give you the most bang for the
buck, 15K SAS should give you more performance.  Depending on how much
capacity you need, SSD might also be a good choice.

Don't take any vendor's word for it.  See if you can get a few on loan
and perform your disk benchmarks before you buy.

-Jeff