[Linux-cluster] fencing issue - with attach logs&conf

Corey Kovacs corey.kovacs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 06:55:26 UTC 2010

Brem,

It's been my understanding that the kernel panic technique you are
describing essentially is undesirable for the fact that the kernel is in an
unknown state. Basically anything can happen. The OS doesn't have to do a
sync for an hba do flush etc. Since RedHat isn't in the business of building
there own hardware like HP(DEC), Sun, IBM, they take the next best route to
ensure that nothing from that problematic machine can affect the storage and
the only way to guarantee that is to remove power from the whole machine.

VMS and Tru64 use the panic method but the other nodes will issue a
reservation on the scsi bus against that node to protect the storage. They
can do that because they know exactly how there hardware and implementation
of reservations work.

Corey