[Linux-cluster] Clarification on the FenceAgentAPI

Marek Grac mgrac at redhat.com
Mon Mar 8 09:03:45 UTC 2010

Hi,

On 03/08/2010 06:13 AM, Digimer wrote:
> There seems to be some confusion in the API
> (http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/FenceAgentAPI) and whether
> 'option' or 'action' is the proper argument used to tell the fence
> agent what to do. Currently I check for both, but would like some
> clarity on this.

Option 'action' (getopt: -o, --action) is preferred and should be
supported in every fence agent.

> More confusing though is this:
>
> -----------------
> Per email conversation, monitor is also a required operations for new
> agents and if it is single port hw then it will call 'status', if it
> is multi port hw then it will call 'list'. In both cases it should not
> print output
> -----------------
>
> The API document doesn't talk about the 'monitor' or 'list' arguments.
> Can someone clarify what these actions are support to request from the
> agent?

'monitor' - test if fence agent is working as expected, you can login
and do a simple operation.

'list' - should list all available devices/VM/.. proper format is csv:
     #id, #alias
     * more columns can be added but they are not standardized and used yet
     * lines are not ordered in any way
     e.g.:
     24,bar-01
     20,bar-03