[Linux-cluster] Clarification on the FenceAgentAPI

Digimer linux at alteeve.com
Mon Mar 8 20:06:56 UTC 2010

On 10-03-08 04:03 AM, Marek Grac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03/08/2010 06:13 AM, Digimer wrote:
>> There seems to be some confusion in the API
>> (http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/wiki/FenceAgentAPI) and whether
>> 'option' or 'action' is the proper argument used to tell the fence
>> agent what to do. Currently I check for both, but would like some
>> clarity on this.
>>
> Option 'action' (getopt: -o, --action) is preferred and should be
> supported in every fence agent.
>
>> More confusing though is this:
>>
>> -----------------
>> Per email conversation, monitor is also a required operations for new
>> agents and if it is single port hw then it will call 'status', if it
>> is multi port hw then it will call 'list'. In both cases it should not
>> print output
>> -----------------
>>
>> The API document doesn't talk about the 'monitor' or 'list' arguments.
>> Can someone clarify what these actions are support to request from the
>> agent?
>
> 'monitor' - test if fence agent is working as expected, you can login
> and do a simple operation.
>
> 'list' - should list all available devices/VM/.. proper format is csv:
> #id, #alias
> * more columns can be added but they are not standardized and used yet
> * lines are not ordered in any way
> e.g.:
> 24,bar-01
> 20,bar-03
> 21,bar-02
> 22,bar-02
>
> m,

Thanks for the reply, Marek!

   I've setup my 'list' action to display like so:

-------------------------------
digimer at lework:~$ fence_na -a ariel.alteeve.com -n 2 -l ariel -p gr0tt0
-o list
1,an_san01.alteeve.com,power_state:on,reset_state:on,power_feed:on
2,an_san02.alteeve.com,power_state:on,reset_state:on,power_feed:on
3,unused,power_state:on,reset_state:on,power_feed:--
4,unused,power_state:on,reset_state:on,power_feed:--

   Is the compliant output then? The format is:
<node>,<node_alias>,<...>

   Or would it be better to treat anything after the
'<node>,<node_alias>' as reserved and not print the status info?

Digi

PS - Thanks for the clarification on the 'option' vs. 'action', I've
updated my agent and docs.