[Linux-cluster] Clustering storage using RHCS to store VMs

Steven Whitehouse swhiteho at redhat.com
Mon Mar 15 13:12:16 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 12:57 +0100, carlopmart wrote:
> Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 11:50 +0100, carlopmart wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >>   I need to setup a rhcs with two nodes to use it for delivery storage for vmware
> >> esxi 4 and rhel5.4 kvm hosts.
> >>
> >>   Which type of filesystem is best to use on this topology to serve it via NFS for
> >> esxi and rhel5.4 kvm hosts: gfs2 or ext4??
> >>
> > That depends on whether you need multiple nodes exporting the same
> > filesystem or not.
>
> I need to export only for 1 esxi host and 1 rhel5.4 kvm host (at this first stage.
> It is expected to grow until 4 esxi hosts and 2 rhel5.4 kvm hosts). And I need to
> export same filesystems to both and all future hosts ...

I'm not sure I understand. How many physical hosts have you got, and how
many virtual hosts and how are the virtual hosts arranged on the
physical hosts?

If there is only one physical node through which the filesystem needs to
be made available, then ext4 would seem a reasonable choice for storing
the VMs. If you need a filesystem shared either between the VMs or
between physical hosts (but not both, as that causes fencing issues),
then gfs2 is probably what you want,

Steve.