[Linux-cluster] Clustering storage using RHCS to store VMs

carlopmart carlopmart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 13:26:13 UTC 2010

Steven Whitehouse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 12:57 +0100, carlopmart wrote:
>> Steven Whitehouse wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> That depends on whether you need multiple nodes exporting the same
>>> filesystem or not.
>> I need to export only for 1 esxi host and 1 rhel5.4 kvm host (at this first stage.
>> It is expected to grow until 4 esxi hosts and 2 rhel5.4 kvm hosts). And I need to
>> export same filesystems to both and all future hosts ...
>>

> I'm not sure I understand. How many physical hosts have you got, and how
> many virtual hosts and how are the virtual hosts arranged on the
> physical hosts?

Sorry, I will try to explain:

  - Physical hypervisor hosts: 2, one esxi and one rhel5.4 kvm. On a second planned
phase (next months) will be six physical hosts: 4 esxi and 2 rhel5.4.

  - Virtual machines: 20 (windows, solaris and linux). Over next months will be more.

  - KVM guests: 6 virtual machines. all redhat based acting as a mysql servers,
apache services and smtp services.

  - VMware guests: 14 virtual guests, most of them Windows 2008 R2 guests serving
web pages, acting as a file servers, etc. A few Windows 7 guests for VDI.

> If there is only one physical node through which the filesystem needs to
> be made available, then ext4 would seem a reasonable choice for storing
> the VMs. If you need a filesystem shared either between the VMs or
> between physical hosts (but not both, as that causes fencing issues),
> then gfs2 is probably what you want,
>
> Steve.

CL Martinez
carlopmart {at} gmail {d0t} com