[Linux-cluster] RHES4 box does not prompt for password afterentering login id at console

Kit Gerrits kitgerrits at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 23:00:48 UTC 2010

The error:
SCSI0 (0:0) : rejecting I/O to offline device
means that one of the disks has failed.

If the /var/ filesystem resides on this disk, the security logs become
unwritable and the system refuses log-ins.

The physical terminal is usually the most fail-safe way to log in (it has
the most overrides.
If this fails (as it appears to have done, you could try rebooting, to see
if the disk will come back (it sometimes does).

Otherwise, I fear you may need to swap out the disk and restore (or
reinstall) what was on there.

Regards,

Kit

  _____