[Linux-cluster] How do you HA your storage?

Kit Gerrits kitgerrits at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 09:47:29 UTC 2011

With dual-controller arrays, dm-multipath  keeps checking if the current
device is still responding and switches to a different path if it is not.
(for examply, by reading sector 0)

With SAN failover, you may need to tell the secondary SAN LUN to go into
read-write mode.
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with tying this into RHEL.
(also, sector 0 will already be readable on the secundary LUN, but not
writable)

Maybe there is a write test, which tries to write to both SANs
The one which allows write access will become the active LUN.

If you can switch your SANs inside 30 seconds, you might even be able to
salvage/execute pending write operations.

Regards,

Kit