[Linux-cluster] multiple gfs2_tool shrinks cause hang?

Scooter Morris scooter at cgl.ucsf.edu
Wed Feb 23 20:17:00 UTC 2011

Hi all,
     I recently had a hang on our cluster that I unwittingly caused and
wondered if anyone else has seen anything similar.  We were noticing a
definitely slow-down in one filesystem and doing some investigation, I
noticed that one of the nodes had a large number of locks gfs2_glock in
/proc/slabinfo was very large.  I decided to try doing a gfs2_tool
shrink on the filesystem that was going to slow.  I noticed some
reduction in the number of locks, but not a lot, so I did it again.
Everything dropped into D wait on that filesystem, as did several of the
kernel threads.  Has anyone else seen this behavior?  Is this a known bug?

-- scooter