[Linux-cluster] lvm2-cluster not syncing correctly?

Simon Hargrave szhargrave at ybs.co.uk
Thu Feb 24 16:13:52 UTC 2011

Please read the warning at the end of this email

Hi

I'm creating an (at present) 2 node cluster to share GFS2 filesystems.  Everything seems to be working reasonably OK apart from one issue which may or may not be a bug.

I have a cluster volume group called vgGWPOCSHARED mounted on 2 nodes.  I can "vgdisplay -v" and "vgdisplay -v vgGWPOCSHARED" to my hearts content on either node with no problem.

I now create a logical volume on the first node, e.g. lvcreate -n test -L 1G vgGWPOCSHARED.  The output of "vgdisplay -v" and "vgdisplay -v vgGWPOCSHARED" on the local node show the new logical volume as expected.

However, if I now perform the same 2 commands on the second node, something strange happens.

"vgdisplay -v" shows the state of vgGWPOCSHARED /before/ the new logical volume was created.  It also give the following in stderr: -

    Archiving volume group "vgGWPOCSHARED" metadata (seqno 21).
    Archiving volume group "vgGWPOCSHARED" metadata (seqno 20).
    Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/vgGWPOCSHARED" (seqno 20).

However if I then do a "vgdisplay -v vgGWPOCSHARED", I see the new logical volume, but also the stderr output: -

    Archiving volume group "vgGWPOCSHARED" metadata (seqno 20).
    Archiving volume group "vgGWPOCSHARED" metadata (seqno 21).
    Creating volume group backup "/etc/lvm/backup/vgGWPOCSHARED" (seqno 21).

Alternating between the 2 commands repeats the output.  It's as if clvmd isn't "fully" updating something and that something's cached, but I'm not sure what.

If I unmount my gfs2 filesystems and restart clvmd,

service gfs2 stop
service clvmd stop
service clvmd start
service gfs2 start

Then everything returns to normal and the outputs match.

Is this something anyone has seen/can reproduce/has any idea about?

Versions are: -

lvm2-cluster-2.02.74-3.el5
lvm2-2.02.74-5.el5

Server is RHEL 5 x86_64 updated from the channel on 21st Feb this year.

Thanks

Simon

-
Simon Hargrave szhargrave at ybs.co.uk <blocked::blocked::mailto:szhargrave at ybs.co.uk>
Technical Services Team Leader x2831
Yorkshire Building Society 01274 472831
http://wwwtech/sysint/tsgcore.asp

This email and any attachments are confidential and may contain privileged information.
If you are not the person for whom they are intended please return the email and then delete all material from any computer. You must not use the email or attachments for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to anyone other than the intended recipient.
Any statements made by an individual in this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the Yorkshire Building Society Group.

Yorkshire Building Society, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, chooses to introduce its customers to Legal & General for the purposes of advising on and arranging life assurance and investment products bearing Legal & General’s name.

We are entered in the FSA Register and our FSA registration number is 106085 http://www.fsa.gov.uk/register

Head Office: Yorkshire Building Society, Yorkshire House, Yorkshire Drive, Bradford, BD5 8LJ
Tel: 0845 1 200 100

Visit Our Website
http://www.ybs.co.uk

All communications with us may be monitored/recorded to improve the quality of our service and for your protection and security.

http://www.star.net.uk