[Linux-cluster] Fsck on GFS2

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Fri Feb 25 13:43:33 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
| Hi !
|
| We are in the testing phase of our setup, and I had to grow a GFS2
| filesystem under RH6, wich was full. It didn't work because of a bug,
| so I
| deleted some files to make room, and the the grow worked, but still I
| couldn't write more data. So I took the FS offline and made a FSCK on
| it.
| And it took something like 2 and a half hours to complete. The FS is
| now 941
| gigs on on a 1.8 tb lvm on a shared raid rack (active storage), via a
| 4 gb
| fibre channel switch. It contains millions (I don't have an exact
| count, but
| 3 might be a good estimate) files.
|
| So is it normal for fsck on a FS that size to took so long? On our
| curent
| XSan setup, xserve-raid, older drives and 2 gb fc, for the same size
| and
| file count it takes about 40 or 50 minutes to complete.

Hi,

The speed and accuracy of fsck.gfs2 varies based on a lot of things,
including the amount of metadata, if there is any damage to fix,
and which version of fsck.gfs2 you are using.  The tool is improving
all the time.

I try to put the latest fixes for x86_64 on my people page:

http://people.redhat.com/rpeterso/Experimental/RHEL5.x/gfs2/fsck.gfs2

All of the fixes going into RHEL5.7 are in that version, and
it is faster and more accurate than the version shipped with RHEL5.6.
In fact we've made about 75+ patches since RHEL5.6 to improve it.
The upstream git repos for gfs2-utils and cluster have the latest
source code as well.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat File Systems