[Linux-cluster] GFS2 + NFS crash BUG: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer deference

Colin Simpson Colin.Simpson at iongeo.com
Tue Jul 12 01:29:56 UTC 2011

OK, so my question is, is there any other reason apart from the risk of
individual file corruption from locking being incompatible between
local/samba vs NFS that may lead to issues i.e. we aren't really
interested in locking working between NFS and local/samba access just
that it works consistently in NFS when accessing files that way (with a
single node server) and locally/samba when accessing files that way.

I mean I'm thinking of, for example, I have a build that generates
source code via NFS then some time later a PC comes in via Samba and
accesses these files for building on that environment. The two systems
aren't requiring locking to work cross platform/protocol, just need to
be exported to the two systems. But locking on each one separately is
useful.

If there are and we should be using all access via NFS on NFS exported
filesystems, one issue that also springs to mind is commercial backup
systems that support GFS2 but don't support backing up via NFS.

Is there anything else I should know about GFS2 limitations?
Is there a book "GFS: The Missing Manual"? :)

Thanks

Colin