[Linux-cluster] GFS2 + NFS crash BUG: Unable to handle kernelNULL pointer deference

Colin Simpson Colin.Simpson at iongeo.com
Tue Jul 12 18:52:51 UTC 2011

I just ask this as I have a cluster where we wish to share a project
directories and home dirs and have them accessible by Linux clients via
NFS and PC's via Samba. As I say the locking cross OS doesn't matter.

And using 2.6.32-71.24.1.el6.x86_64 kernel we are seeing the kernel
often panicing (every week or so) on one node. Could this be the cause?

It's hard to catch as the fencing has stopped me so far getting a good
core (and the change to crashkernel param which changed in 6.1 the new
param doesn't play with the old kernel) . Plus I guess I need to see if
it happens on the latest kernels, but they are worse for me due to
BZ#712139. I guess the first thing I'll get from support is try the
latest hotfix kernel (which I can only get once I've tested the test
kernel). Also plus long fence intervals aren't great to capture.

So is it time for me to look at going back to ext4 for an HA file
server.

Can anyone from RH tell me if I'm wasting my time even trying this on
GFS2 (that I will get instability and kernel crashes)?

Really unfortunate if so, as I really like the setup when it's
working.....

Also, after a node crashes some GFS mounts aren't too happy, they take a
long time to mount back on the original failed node. The filesystems are
dirty when we fsck them lots of

Ondisk and fsck bitmaps differ at block 109405952 (0x6856700)
Ondisk status is 1 (Data) but FSCK thinks it should be 0 (Free)
Metadata type is 0 (free)

Some differences in free space etc

Can anyone from RH tell me if I'm wasting my time even trying this on
GFS2 (that I will get GFS2 instability and kernel crashes)?

Thanks

Colin