[Linux-cluster] Linux Cluster + KVM + LVM2

Marc Caubet mcaubet at pic.es
Tue Jul 19 14:19:17 UTC 2011

Hi,

we are testing RedHat Cluster to build a KVM virtualization infrastructure.
This is the first time we use the Linux Cluster so we are a little bit lost.
Hope someone can help.

Actually we have 2 hypervisors connected via Fiber Channel to a shared
storage (both servers see the same 15TB device /dev/mapper/mpathb).

Our idea is a shared storage to hold KVM virtual machines by using LVM2.
Both server should be able to run Virtual Machines from the same storage,
but we should be able to migrate or start virtual machines on the other
server node on crash.

So the plan is:

- Virtual Machine image = Logical Volume
- CLVM2 cluster: only one server node at the same time will be able to
manage the volume group-
- KVM Virtual Machine High Availability. Machines will run on one server
node. If for some reason the server node crashes, the second will start /
migrate the virtual machine.

Basically we woul like to know:

- How can we create a cluster for the LVM2 shared storage (when we create
it, it does not work since both server nodes have the VG as Active)
- How can we create a cluster service for a virtual machine (we guess it has
to be done 1 by 1)
- Since we have 2 server nodes, how to increase the number of votes for
quorum (qdisk over a heartbeat logical volume partition?)

Thanks and best regards,
--
Marc Caubet Serrabou
PIC (Port d'Informació Científica)