[Linux-cluster] error messages while use fsck.gfs2

Bob Peterson rpeterso at redhat.com
Wed Nov 16 13:43:35 UTC 2011

----- Original Message -----
| Bob Peterson wrote:
|
| > I've taken a close look at the image file you created.
| > This appears to be a normal, everyday GFS2 file system
| > except there is a section of 16 blocks (or 0x10 in hex)
| > that are completely destroyed near the beginning of the
| > file system, right after the root directory. Unfortunately,
| > there are critical system files like the master directory
| > that were overwritten.
|
| Single point of failure?
|
| Is there any particular reason not to have secondary superblocks?

I agree with what Steve Whitehouse has said thus far, but I
want to add:

The latest/greatest upstream fsck.gfs2 has the ability to recreate
pretty much any and all damaged system structures and system files,
but there's only so much it can do. That's why I suggested trying the
experimental RHEL6 version, which isn't too far out of date from
the upstream version. It's much better at recovering single blocks
that have been overwritten, rather than a group of blocks. It's
actually quite sophisticated in recreating things.

Regards,

Bob Peterson
Red Hat File Systems