[Linux-cluster] Options for fencing at the node level .

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Fri Jun 29 03:01:07 UTC 2012

On 06/28/2012 10:32 PM, Zama Ques wrote:
> Hi All ,
>
> I need to setup HA clustering using redhat cluster suite on two nodes ,
> primary concern being high availability . Before trying it on production
> , I am trying to configure the setup on two desktop machines . For
> storage , I am creating a partition and sharing the partition as a iscsi
> target on a third machine . Would like to know what are the options for
> fencing available at the node level  .  I tried going through the conga
> interface for creating a
> shared fence device , I could see one option is using GNBD . virtual
> machine fencing is there in the list but that is for xen based HA
> cluster . scsi fencing is there , but as far as what I understand it
> does not support iscsi target as of now. Manual fencing is also there ,
> and I am planning to use that , but would like to  know is there any
> other options are available for fencing at node level ?
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Zaman

You need a real device that will power off the cluster node. If your
machines do not have IPMI, which desktops rarely ever do, you next best
option is a switched PDU. I have had excellent luck with APC AP7900 (or
your country's version of). The cluster can call this PDU and ask it to
turn off the power to the target node.

Fencing requires a mechanism totally independent of the target. With
virtual machines, the host hypervisor can do this. For real machines
though, you need hardware.

--
Digimer