[Linux-cluster] mixing OS versions?

Alan Brown ajb2 at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Mar 28 22:07:48 UTC 2014

On 28/03/14 19:31, Fabio M. Di Nitto wrote:

> Are there any known issues, guidelines, or recommendations for having
> a single RHCS cluster with different OS releases on the nodes?
> Only one answer.. don't do it. It's not supported and it's only asking
> for troubles.

Seconded. There are _substantial_ differences between Centos/RHEL 5 and
6 clustering.

You can run one or the other OS, but you can't mix them. The on-disk
format isn't affected.

Best path is to setup a cluster in 6, shut down the 5 cluster, attach
disks to the 6 cluster and bring it all back up. The 5 boxes can be
converted to version 6 afterwards.

(I'm going through this at the moment, as I have 2 EL5 clusters and 1
EL6 cluster.)

TAKE NOTE:  RHEL/CentOS6 clustering is not quite ready for prime-time -
if you enable GFS2 quotas and someone busts his quota the machine will
panic.