[Linux-cluster] GFS2 over NFS4

Mohd Irwan Jamaluddin mij at irwan.name
Thu Apr 23 13:05:57 UTC 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 6:11 PM, Thorvald Hallvardsson <
thorvald.hallvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I need some help and answers related to share GFS2 file system over NFS. I
> have read the RH documentation but still some things are a bit unclear to
> me.
>
> First of all I need to build a POC for the shared storage cluster which
> initially will contain 3 nodes in the storage cluster. This is all going to
> run as a VM environment on Hyper-V. Generally the idea is to share virtual
> VHDX across 3 nodes, put LVM and GFS2 on top of it and then share it via
> NFS to the clients. I have got the initial cluster built on Centos 7 using
> pacemaker. I generally followed RH docs to build it so I ended up with the
> simple GFS2 cluster and pacemaker managing fencing and floating VIP
> resource.
>
> Now I'm wondering about the NFS. RedHat documentation is a bit conflicting
> or rather unclear in some places and I found quite few manuals on the
> internet about similar configuration and generally some of them suggest to
> mount the NFS share on the clients with nolock option RH docs mention local
> flock and I got confused about what supposed to be where. Of course I don't
> know if my understanding is correct but the reason to "disable" NFS locking
> is because GFS2 is already doing it anyway via DLM so there is no need for
> NFS to do same thing what eventually mean that I will have some sort of
> double locking mechanism in place. So first question is where I suppose to
> setup locks or rather no locks and how the export should look like ?
>
> Second thing is I was thinking about going a step forward and use NFS4 for
> the exports. However from what I have read about NFS4 it does locking by
> default and there is no way to disable them. Does that mean NFS4 is not
> suitable in this case at all ?
>
> That's all for now.
>
> I appreciate your help.

This is the latest KB regarding combination of GFS + NFS that I know of,

Does Red Hat recommend exporting GFS or GFS2 with NFS or Samba in a RHEL
Resilient Storage cluster, and how should I configure it if I do?
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/20327