[linux-lvm] Cannot access VG due to "hd error"

Michelic Adalbert adalbert.michelic at akh.linz.at
Thu Aug 3 07:38:45 UTC 2000

Hello Justin,

Justin Hamilton wrote:
> I believe this is a Kernel issue.  Take a look at the following,
> I think it fits you needs:
>
> ATA/IDE/MFM/RLL support
> ->IDE, ATA and ATAPI Block devices
> --->Use multi-mode by default
>
> CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE:
>
> If you get this error, try to say Y here:
> hda: set_multmode: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
> hda: set_multmode: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
> If in doubt, say N.

I have tried the CONFIG_IDEDISK_MULTI_MODE kernel option - but
unfortunately it doesn't help.

I tried to make a ReiserFS on the "defect" disk and copying a lot
of files from and to the disk (on the same machine) - everything
works without a single problem. But if I restore the LVM-PV from
my backup disk the problems start again.

Could it be, that the LVM on-disk structures are corrupted and
vgscan therefore accesses the disk in a wrong way which then
causes this kernel messages?

BTW: I have some logical volumes on the first disk of the volume
group - is it possible to use only these volumes?
Currently my /usr-volume is in the defect VG (on the first disk) -
and therefore I can't do anything with my machine ...

Rgds, Adalbert