[linux-lvm] Debian packaging

Claudio Matsuoka claudio at conectiva.com
Mon Dec 18 01:00:49 UTC 2000

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, Andreas Dilger wrote:

> As with other people, I think it would be best to place the LVM user utils
> into /sbin/lvm-<IOP version>.  However, I think it is NOT a good idea to
> put wrapper scripts in /sbin.  Instead, simply set the path at boot time
> (/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, and for root) to include the correct directory if
> it exists.

This approach is indeed much cleaner, but my concern is that it will make
all scripts that use the full path for the tools (e.g. /sbin/vgscan, or
[ -x /sbin/vgscan ]) fail.

I'm following Russel's idea in a experimental RPM package for Conectiva,
splitting the "lvm" package into lvm-base with the common files (requiring
a virtual lvm-tools) and lvm-iopXX (each IOP version providing lvm-tools).
This package layout should be good for apt-get as well. I'll make the SRPM
available as soon as I finish it, if anyone wants to have a look.

claudio