[linux-lvm] '/etc/init.d/lvm' script in debian package

Russell Coker bofh at coker.com.au
Wed Dec 20 21:40:47 UTC 2000

On Wednesday 20 December 2000 20:29, Gergely Tamas wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Some notes to the /etc/init.d/lvm script in the debian packages ...
>
> 1] --- it would be better to add '-a ! -d /proc/lvm' as shown bellow,
>        becouse in in the newer versions '/proc/lvm' is a directory
>        (but what if compiled without /proc/lvm info...)
>
> if [ ! -f /proc/lvm -a ! -d /proc/lvm ]; then
>    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ was: '[ ! -f /proc/lvm ]; then'
>
> 	if [ ! -f /lib/modules/`uname -r`/block/lvm.o -a ! -f /lib/modules/`uname
> -r`/block/lvm-mod.o ]; then exit 0
> 	fi
> fi

Thanks for the suggestion about checking for a directory.  But how will I
determine what version of LVM if it's a directory?  Will there be
/proc/lvm/version?

As for the checking for the module file.  With the way module management is
being changed in recent kernels I'm not about to do such checking as it's too
likely that things will get broken.

I'll just assume that if the LVM module isn't loaded then the administrator
doesn't want it to start.

LVM isn't something that you want to be automatically loading on demand,
either you need it or you don't.  If you need it then you will probably want
to compile it in or put it in /etc/modules for loading on boot.

> 2] --- I still think that an init.d script should display a usage help as
>        default
>
> case "$1" in
> 	start)
>         ^^^^^^ was: 'start|"")'