[linux-lvm] 0.8i pvcreate doesn't recognise Mylex RAID

Andi Kleen ak at suse.de
Wed Jan 26 19:54:53 UTC 2000

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 06:18:00PM -0000, Jakma, Paul wrote:
> > Yep.
> > That's why a change to use /proc/partitions is
> > in the current developement code.
> >

> eeekk... /proc.. no, no no. I've had too much crap with changes in format of
> /proc files breaking userland tools, i hate the same to happen to LVM. I
> think it would be much mroe hassle-free to just take the performance hit and
> scan /dev.

Near all /proc reading programs that broke over time were due to very poorly
writen parsers. I'm sure Heinz is able to write a proper /proc parser :-)
(that checks the column titles first and uses them to find the right
column numbers, thus deals properly with added fields, not just the usual
fscanf hack)

-Andi