[linux-lvm] Re: IBM to release LVM Technology to the Linux

benr at us.ibm.com benr at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 26 21:44:38 UTC 2000

Paul,

Welcome to the discussion!

>would it not perhaps be more efficient and more purposeful if rather
>than releasing IBM specific code which will not 'drop-in' to linux,
>IBM were instead to use their knowledge gained from IBM LVM to assist
>with improving the current Linux LVM?

If the existing LVM could accommodate what our customers have asked for,
then, yes, it would have been more efficient to improve the current Linux
LVM.  However, in order for the current LVM to be able to do what our
customers have asked for, it would have to be based upon a different
architecture.  This would require major changes to the code, the equivalent
of a re-write.  This does not mean, however, that the current LVM is in any
way bad.  It just means that our customers have needs that are not being
met by the current LVM, and something different is required to meet those
needs.

Regards,

Ben