[linux-lvm] SuSE/LVM boot problem

Ulf Bartelt ulf at twc.de
Wed May 3 10:05:58 UTC 2000

Jan Niehusmann wrote:
> I can imagine two ways to make lilo work with lvm:
>
> 1) at install time (when you run /sbin/lilo), lilo maps the logical (lvm)
> locations to physical locations and writes these to the boot block. The boot
> code doesn't need to be changed.
>
> 2) lilo writes logical locations to the boot block (trivial). The boot
> code needs to understand lvm.

While waiting for either 1 or 2 you could use 3:

3) Make /boot and / contiguous and remember not to move them until lvm
has a non-moveable flag. Calculate the physical start and the length in
sectors of /boot and /, fake them into your partition table and use
these "partition aliases" to boot and use these filesystems...
...and don´t forget to give lilo an append="..." line defining the real
geometry of your drive as linux´s geometry guessing will give strange
results with such aliases not starting on cylinder boundaries...
This hack works fine for me since end of november 1999.
Better explanations are at http://www.freenet.de/y.e.t.i./