[linux-lvm] raid & LVM

Michael Marxmeier mike at msede.com
Thu May 11 00:02:40 UTC 2000

"Jeffrey E. Mast" wrote:

> I have been playing around with the kernel linux-2.3.99-pre7-8
> (0.8final) and attempting to try out
> using software raid0 with LVM. The problem I am having is that
> apparently /proc/partitions
> reports /dev/mda instead of /dev/md0 and pvcreate cannot find /dev/md0.

IMHO this might be an inconsistency between devfs and your current
device files (probably non devfs based?). When devfs is compiled in
the kernel /proc/partitions returns the devfs names.
To save scanning all block device files in /dev, lvm tries to make
use of /proc/partitions in vgscan.

> Anyway, I made a link from /dev/md0 to /dev/mda and pvcreate works.
> However, doing
> a vgscan segfaults. The segfault occurs in pv_read_all_pv.c during the
> check for MD and
> clear out doubles.

Looks like a bug.

Michael

--
Michael Marxmeier           Marxmeier Software AG
E-Mail: mike at msede.com      Besenbruchstrasse 9