[linux-lvm] [RFC] LVM mainatainance release

Heinz J. Mauelshagen Heinz.Mauelshagen at t-online.de
Sat Oct 28 10:50:07 UTC 2000

On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 09:04:46PM -0600, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> Jan writes:
> > As Heinz seems to release his next version as 0.9, there will be no
> > numbering conflicts, and even if your 0.8.1 will not be 'made official'
> > by him, it'll be a common ground for further 0.8 bugfixing.
>
> I agree we should make bugfix releases available between the major
> updates from Heinz.  It would save a lot of people grief, and a lot
> of FAQs here.
>
> > The problem I have with Andreas' RPMs is, that there are no announcements
> > of new versions (at least not on any mailing list I read), so I need to
> > regularily check if they contain some new patches I need. And tar is more
> > convenient for people not using rpm.
>
> Initially I made just the SRPM available because that's what my development
> is based on, and I can use alien to convert it to .deb format.  If people
> really want, I can also make a patched tarball available with very little
> effort, since I keep a patched and unpatched tree already.  I will make
> a tarball available with my next release (today or tomorrow).
>
> Actually, I don't do too many updates to my SRPM.  Normally only when
> people have reported a bug here, as I'm waiting for 0.9 before I do any
> more changes.  I do normally post something to linux-lvm, but I will make
> a point of being more verbose about it, rather than hiding it in another
> discussion.
>
> I would prefer if Heinz opened a project on SourceForge, so that we can
> have CVS, bugzilla, patch tracking, etc, and allow a limited number of
> developers write access to the project.  My second choice is simply a
> URL from the official LVM site pointing to wherever I keep my patches -
> this frees both Heinz and myself from having to co-ordinate a bugfix
> release.  Failing that, I will simply make the files available on my
> site and keep pointing it out to people when they report a problem here.

Sistina is working on setting up CVS and Bugzilla for LVM.
Will announce it on the list once we are done.

--

Regards,
Heinz      -- The LVM guy --

Heinz Mauelshagen                                 Sistina Software Inc.
Senior Consultant/Developer                       Bartningstr. 12
                                                  64289 Darmstadt
                                                  Germany
Mauelshagen at Sistina.com                           +49 6151 7103 86
                                                       FAX 7103 96