[linux-lvm] Sanity check: newbie wants strange LVM configuration

Joe Thornber joe at 66bassett.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jan 3 09:33:27 UTC 2001

Chris,

First of all wait and see what other people say in response to this
message, I haven't had as much practical experience with LVM as others
and they may think of simpler ways of doing it.  Also I've just
realised I haven't addressed the fact that your root filesystem is on
the 12G drive, the FAQ for this is at
http://www.the-infinite.org/archive/docs/lvm/howto-boot-off-root-lv.txt,
again I'm sure other people can help.

I would use LVM to do the striping, you don't need MD unless you want
redundancy (raid-0 will not give you redundancy).

Check the relative speeds/throughput of the drives, I bought a 30 IBM
drive recently and it was *so* much faster than the old 6G drive, I
think things would slow down if I striped.

I don't think you need to partition the 40G drive at all (except for
the small /boot partition):

1) Turn the whole of 40G into a PV.
2) create a volume group.
3) create a logical volume big enough for your 12G drive
4) copy filesystem across from 12 to new logical volume
5) check you copied it OK
6) turn the 12G drive into a PV
7) extend the volume group with the new PV
8) create a striped logical volume big enough to hold the 12G
9) copy the linear logical volume into the striped volume
10) check you copied it OK
11) remove the linear logical volume

OK so you should now have (40 - 6)G free on the big disk, and (12 -6)G
free on the smallest disk.

12) create a linear logical volume for the 16G drive
13) copy data from 16G
14) check you copied
15) turn 16G drive into a PV
17) extend VG with new PV
16) create a 16G striped LV
17) copy from the linear 16G into the striped 16G
18) check copy
19) remove linear 16G

You now have a striped LV 12G, a striped LV 16G + lots of left over
extents that can be added when needed.

- Joe