[linux-lvm] Sanity check: newbie wants strange LVM configuration

Chris Worley cworley at liberate.com
Wed Jan 3 16:40:15 UTC 2001

Joe,

Good plan, but I have some questions...

Joe Thornber wrote:

> 6) turn the 12G drive into a PV
> 7) extend the volume group with the new PV
> 8) create a striped logical volume big enough to hold the 12G

And LVM knows automagically to grab 12GB from the 40GB drive to stripe
together into a 24GB drive?

> OK so you should now have (40 - 6)G free on the big disk, and (12 -6)G
> free on the smallest disk.

Why don't I have 40-12 and 12-12 (nothing free on the smaller disk)
resulting in a 24G raid0?

Also, I think it would be better to do the 16G first, then the 12G.
Is there any reason why you did the 12G first, or is this interchangeable?

> 16) create a 16G striped LV

Shouldn't this be a 32G striped LV (16G from the 16G drive, another
16G from the 40G drive)?

> You now have a striped LV 12G, a striped LV 16G + lots of left over
> extents that can be added when needed.

Wouldn't that be a 24G striped LV and a 32G striped LV that I can
append together into a 56G LV (and lots of non-striped extents that I
can add to the end of that)?

Thanks for your help,

Chris