[linux-lvm] Another strange setup by a newbie, but strange oops resulted while trying vgextend/vgmerge!

Daniel Mitzlaff hackbyte at gmx.de
Wed Jan 3 17:44:13 UTC 2001

Hello there..
Joe Thornber wrote something like:

>Grab the latest code from the LVM_0-9-patches branch of cvs.  You will
>need to repatch/build the kernel module as well as the userland tools.
Hmm, sorry but – as i sayd in my last mail – CVS snapshots for a machine
which is imho _very mission critical_
is the last thing that i can add to the "i have no backups" line .. ;)
If i had to wait for the next release of lvm, it's ok. If i had to use an
old version of LVM, ok ......
But – please can someone add this to the INSTALL file? ;)
>The lvm-2.2.17 and 2.2.18 patches apply cleanly to the vanilla
>kernel + rawio.  The redhat kernel is almost certainly not a vanilla
>kernel.
(smile) i wrote
----
I use a native RH6.2 installation w/o any updates/fixes (except for
network security), using 2.2.17 and 2.2.18
kernel-tarballs
----
There's a little difference between "tarballs" (mostly downloaded from
ftp.kernel.org) and RPM's which came in most cases from redhat or rpmfind
and are "adapted" versions to run easilyon RH boxes. I took the vanilla
tarballs from kernel.org;)
And, i can't find any 2.2.18 patches on the ftp servers (again, cvs is no
choice;)
ok .... but:
>I don't think 0.9 is quite ready for production systems.  Maybe you
>should play with 0.8.
Yessa, that's what i want to hear – why it is not documented in the
install or readme file?
How can users, which thinks after reading your doc's, that all seems to
be ok, bug-less and right stable, how can these user see which version is
stable?;)
I'm such a user, but (remember) i know what i do, and i'm wondering about
these (initially) cool piece of software;(
Hhhm, i think i'll try a little bit around with 0.8, giving cvs a try
(but not for real usage!), and really hope that the administrative
persons learn to declare stable and unstable versions. (smile)
Other question, what is the reason to swap on lvm? ;) Because, as in
swapon manual described, the kernel already can swap on several devices
and can handle paralel-swapping on more than one partition .. ;)

Greetings hackbyte -> hackbyte at gmx.de IRCNet hackbyte @ #linux.de,+linux.de
P.s.: Sorry, i just use actually Staroffice on windows for my mails, it's
not really good (smile) - i'll fix it soon;)