[linux-lvm] HowTo: EIDE/ATA-100 + RAID 1 + LVM

Wolfgang Weisselberg weissel at netcologne.de
Wed Jul 4 00:43:04 UTC 2001

Hi, Goetz!

Goetz Bock (bock at blacknet.de) wrote 80 lines:

>   (2x)RAM /dev/hd[ac]2  swap    putting swap onto raid does not make
>                                 sence to me. The 2.4.x kernel NEEDS

Swap on RAID will not give you speed (it will slow you rather),
but a HD failure will not crash the server, because suddenly
the swap has gone.  And without stability even over the loss of
a HD -- what is RAID worth?  Speed you can gain by striping
partitions -- at the cost of having to hope that all HDs
survive, instead of a quorum as with RAID.

-Wolfgang