[linux-lvm] 2 LVM questions

Patrick Boutilier boutilpj at ednet.ns.ca
Fri Jul 20 14:38:24 UTC 2001

What I would do is:

1. Create a Volume group using the 2 unused hard disks.
2. Create a file system on the new Logical volume
3. Copy your /var directory to the new filesystem mounted as /var2
(shutdown Mysql first so the data is clean).
4. Move /var to /var3 (mv /var /var3)
5. Mount new file system as /var

When you are satisfied that everything is working on LVM fine you can
then delete the partition that /var3 is on (old /var) and use it to
extend your logical volume.