[linux-lvm] 2 LVM questions

Joe Thornber thornber at btconnect.com
Fri Jul 20 15:34:30 UTC 2001

On Fri, Jul 20, 2001 at 04:34:15PM +0300, moka at hol.gr wrote:

> Hi there, new to LVM, so I would appreciate if you can
> point me to answers to these questions:

First off, if you're new to LVM do not be tempted to try and run root
off an LV.

> 1) I have a system with 3 hard disks, and only one of
> them is presently used. This contains boot, root and
> swap plus a logical  partition(not LVM) containing
> /var and /home.
>
> I have big database tables, so I would like
>  to create one volume group consisting of the 2
>  unused disks plus the /var. Is this possible
>  without losing what is in /var?

I suggest you create a volume group from the 2 spare disks.

create an lv big enough for var

format it and copy var into it and adjust /etc/fstab accordingly

at this point the old var can be added to the vg with vgextend,
however I would keep it around for a while until you are sure you have
set things up correctly.

> 2) The reason I need  a lot of space is that mysql
>   which I am using stores the database tables in /var.
>  Can I somehow "name" the volume group /var
>   so that mysql will not be confused?

mount the logical volume on /var

- Joe