[linux-lvm] Migrating to an LVM system (boot/root) disk

Steve Wray steve.wray at the.net.nz
Sun Jun 3 05:02:41 UTC 2001

1. In the LFS howto, I saw a warning to the effect of: NEVER run lilo
from a chrooted environment. You can destroy your MBR making
your system bootable only from floppy... Dunno if it applied here.

2. Having a /boot on LVM *is* possible, BUT you will need to boot
from floppy. This is because the info on /boot is needed at boot time,
and without it you won't be able to even get an init ramdrive.
(unless there is a new feature of LVM that allows this?)

3. to get over your night horrors, make a boot disk that includes the LVM
tools. A good starting point is miniroot. I posted a URL to it on this
list a little while ago. I don't have it to hand but it'll be in the
archive!
:)