[linux-lvm] Migrating to an LVM system (boot/root) disk

Brian J. Murrell lvm at interlinx.bc.ca
Sun Jun 3 10:22:25 UTC 2001

On Sun, Jun 03, 2001 at 05:02:41PM +1200, Steve Wray wrote:
> 1. In the LFS howto, I saw a warning to the effect of: NEVER run lilo
> from a chrooted environment. You can destroy your MBR making
> your system bootable only from floppy... Dunno if it applied here.

If you do not tell it which disk to write the MBR to, yes, that would
be true.

> 2. Having a /boot on LVM *is* possible, BUT you will need to boot
> from floppy.

No you don't.  There are several in depth discussions in the archive
about doing this including a posting (several times in fact) of a
patch to Lilo to help it locate the kernel and initrd on an LVM /boot.
Please see the archives for details.

> 3. to get over your night horrors, make a boot disk

disks!  My initrd is 1.3MB alone!

> that includes the LVM
> tools. A good starting point is miniroot. I posted a URL to it on this
> list a little while ago. I don't have it to hand but it'll be in the
> archive!

Yeah, I realize that making boot diskettes is what I have to do, but
the "automated" mkbootdisk that some distros ship as well as the
various root/boot kits out there sure are not going to inclue the LMV
tools.  Having to manually craft the pair is a pain.  :-)

Perhaps just like LVM has a nice little script for creating the
initrd, they can ship with a nice little script for creating root/boot
diskettes.

Of course a lot of this headache goes away if the kernel had the
"auto-detection" code like it does for MDs.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell